|Downtown Bend: Writers Writing - Critique Group Workshop|
Event Type: Adult Program|
Age Group(s): Adult
Start Time: 1:00 PM
End Time: 3:00 PM
Bring three pages or two poems to share with a group for critique.Library: Downtown Bend Public Library Find the Downtown Bend Public Library
This is an in-person program. Registration is required. Masks are recommended at all in-person library events.
Participants will be broken up into small groups to read and discuss their work.
Guidelines for the Critique Group:
- Share what you liked and what you thought worked well in the piece.
- Identify areas that you don't understand or where communication with the reader breaks down.
- Identify craft-related areas of concern (point of view, verb tense, clarity, filtering, redundancy, cliché, sensory details, metaphor, dialogue, narration, pacing, drama, back story, action, intent, scene, structure, etc.).
- Identify craft-related areas of possibility (same list).
- Do not micromanage or try to rewrite for the author; focus on the piece in front of you, not what you would have written.
- Be nice. Be honest. Be of service.
For the Author During Workshop:
- Be quiet and listen actively.
- If you need to explain the piece during workshop, it means the information isn't on the page.
- Make notes of what you hear and want to say, so that you can include it in your revision.
- After feedback is offered, thank everyone for their time, and ask and answer questions.
- You may hear a lot of different opinions, but always remember this is your work and you get to decide how it is written.
- Bear in mind that if you get the same feedback from a lot of people, it's certainly worth taking note.
Location: Brooks Room
Contact: Paige M. Ferro
Contact Number: 541-312-1063